Improve this page
Basic Steps for Starting a New Journal
Here are the main steps in setting up your journal with OJS. Some link to PKP School courses, which are free but require registration to take and to view.
- Set up the technical infrastructure - Module 4, Unit 4, including hosting, domain name, and server environment. Hosting is available from PKP Publishing Services or you can use your own host.
- Protect your data
- Install OJS
- Configure OJS
- Customize the look
- Decide on article file types
- Register for an ISSN
- Register for a DOI
- Register with a LOCKSS Network
- Import content
- Build an editorial team - Module 2, Unit 10
- Determine copyright policy - Module 11, Unit 1
- Select a financial model - Module 8
- Get your content indexed
- Market your journal - Module 9
Copyright: Simon Fraser University holds the copyright for work produced by the Public Knowledge Project and has placed its documentation under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.